There are two ways of killing roaches using borax. You can either spread it on them or mix it with their favorite meal so that they can eat it.
Killing cockroaches with borax is effective when you trick them into eating it. Mix 2 tablespoons of borax powder with 1 tablespoon of fried minced meat and place the mixture where you always find them. Once they eat it, borax will kill the roaches by dehydrating and damaging their internal organs.
The borax powder that is stuck on their legs will also help in wiping the rest when they crawl back into their hiding zone. This happens when they leak each other. Roaches also eat their dead fellows and when this happens, borax will still harm them.
How to use it: What to mix with borax to kill roaches
Tricking roaches into eating borax is the best way of wiping out an infestation because roaches are social amongst themselves. If a roach crawls on borax, it will not die instantly. It will have time to crawl back to its hideout and this will also affect the rest of them.
1. Borax and peanut butter for roaches
Peanut butter is delicious to roaches and the smell alone is enough to attract them out of their hideouts. You can mix borax with peanut butter so that it blends well to get rid of roaches. Here is what to do:
- Put 3 tablespoons of borax in a bowl
- Add 60ml of warm water and mix to form a thick paste
- Add 2 tablespoons of peanut butter to the past and mix them unill they blend well
- Scoop the mixture and leave it in where the roaches will find it. If they eat it, they will die after some time
You can also use this to get rid of roaches in potted plants at home by applying the past on the inner walls of the pot just above the soil. When roaches it, they will die and this will also help in killing those that are good at hiding.
2. Borax and sugar for cockroaches
Roaches love sugar and they will always consume it in large quantities. Simply mix 3 tablespoons of borax with 2 tablespoons of sugar and spread it near their hiding areas. When they feed on it, they will die after some time.
Roaches will crawl on the borax while eating sugar. After that, they will go back to their hiding areas and this will help in killing the rest. You will end up finding only dead roaches after some time.
3. Borax and minced meat for cockroaches
I have always used minced meat to trick cockroaches into eating borax. This gives perfect results in killing roaches around the house. Here is how to easily make roaches eat borax using minced meat:
- Get half a cup of minced meat
- Place this in the microwave for about 3 minutes to help in drying and spicing it up
- Ensure the meat is dry even if it means airing it out because we do not want any water on it
- Get the minced mead and use a spoon to spread the particle in a way that they are scattered
- You can also buy powdered meat if available near you
- Mix the meat with ¼ cup of boric acid powder
- Place this where the roaches love to crawl and let them eat it
Note that the most effective way of using borax for roaches is to lure them into eating a mixture of borax and anything that they like to feed on. This is best done by mixing borax with something that you have noted they love to eat in your house. The mixture can also be spread on firewood to kill wood roaches.
4. Borax and water for cockroaches
Yes, you can mix borax with water to kill roaches by making a strong concentrated solution of borax and just a little water to dissolve it. However, this dilutes the borax and makes it less toxic to the roaches. Here is how to make a borax water spray at home for cockroaches:
- Add 5 teaspoons of borax in a bottle spray
- Add a cup of warm purified water and shake gently to mix well
- Spray this directly on the roaches and use it to clean their hideouts
- This will kill both the small and big cockroaches on contact
Adding borax powder to moping water is also a good suggestion because once your water is soapy, it will help in sanitizing and killing any crawling insects in the house. It is advisable to clean in the morning so that you have the whole day to aerate the house.
Keeping the house supper clean will also discourage reaches from breading into your house because they will have nothing to feed on. Spraying borax mixed with water will also work but will not be as effective when compared to direct ingestion.
How long does it take for borax to kill cockroaches?
It takes 2 days for borax to kill cockroaches if ingested in large amounts. However, it may take 3-4 days if they take it in small quantities but regularly. The duration it takes will depend on the quantities ingested.
This is why spraying them with borax may take time unless you do it directly. Borax will also kill roaches if they come into physical contact with it. If you find a way of directly spreading a lot of borax on them, then it will work well. This is best done if you know their hideouts.
After making a borax spray solution as described above, you can spray generous amounts of it where the roaches hide. This is best done during the day when they are gathered in there.
They tend to be less active during the day so as to hide from their predators and this is why it is assumed that roaches sleep during the day. This is the best time to flush them out with a boric water solution. They will definitely soak in it and this will even kill them within hours.
Borax for Cockroaches in the drain
Borax will kill cockroaches almost instantly is when you manage to soak them into a solution of borax and warm water. This is done by flushing ½ cup of borax mixed with the same amount of water down the drain.
This will definitely kill and wash the roaches down the drain. This can be used in the bathrooms and kitchen sink. Roaches like hiding in drains and they come out at night to look for food in the house. Use the following steps to flush borax down the drain:
- Get 1/2cup of borax powder
- ¼ quarter of vinegar
- Mix this with ½ of warm water
- Stir to make a fine solution
- Flush this down the drain and let it settle in there
- Ensure you do not use the bathroom at least for 2-3 hours after performing the above steps
Vinegar mixed with borax will help in repelling and killing the roaches. If you do not have vinegar, you could add 3 teaspoons of baking soda. Give it enough time to settle and kill the roaches. This can also be used to kill roaches in a toilet bowl.
The young roaches in the drain will die instantly if it comes into contact with them while the big ones will die in less than 10 minutes. It is safe to use boric acid for roaches at home because it is more deadly to roaches as compared to its general effect on you.